    > From what I've heard NT allows numerous (unlimited?) outstanding
    > async-IO requests to be queued to the system, and programmers love
    > this. Can someone validate this? It's what I've heard, I want to
    > know if it is true.

    This is true. What NT has is an IRP (I/O request packet) stack.
    Each new request for I/O gets thrown on the stack. (Actually, it
    is really a fifo, but they call it a stack.) The system will
    handle this by default, but the device driver can choose to manage
    it own IRP queues. When a packet has been processed, you can mark
    the packet as done. This signals the user level that the packet
    has been emptied or filled or whatever.

    Gordon Chaffee

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:38.640 seconds]