    SubjectRe: Good point of Linux over Windows NT
       Date: 	Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:37:04 -0500 (EST)
    From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@analogic.com>

    Look at the code. It isn't spinning. It schedules. The CPU time
    isn't wasted. Linux is a Unix variant. Unix does Async like
    this. VAVen do ASTs (Asynchronous system Trap), NT (borrowed from
    VAX/VMS) does the same thing but with another name. Neither is
    BETTER.

    Kernel level support for async-IO is something that should be at least
    thought about. From the UNIX's that I've heard actually do it, they
    limit you to one outstanding async-IO request per task/thread. This
    seems to suggest it is not a trivial problem to solve at all.

    From what I've heard NT allows numerous (unlimited?) outstanding
    async-IO requests to be queued to the system, and programmers love
    this. Can someone validate this? It's what I've heard, I want to
    know if it is true.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:89.600 seconds]