SubjectRe: Good point of Linux over Windows NT

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Greg Alexander wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, yuri mironoff wrote:
>
> > 1) First and foremost - OS features make an operating system. As examples:
> > good SMP support (scalability), async IO and security are a MUST for today's
> > servers. As poorly as those features are implemented in NT, they are practically
> > nonexistant in Linux.
>
> I can't think of any response except "bullshit".
> Linux has SMP support. I would not call it good. Neither would I
> call NT's SMP support good.
> what the hell is async IO? If you're saying that linux doesn't
> buffer _everything_ then you're just _wrong_. disk is buffered, com is
> buffered, anything can be async. You can mount disks sync, if you want.

You are not talking to an NT supporter here. Linux SMP is in its
infancy. And NO thats not what async IO means. You have to give credit
where credit is due otherwise you're just another "Linux beats everything
because its Linux" banner boy. If we dont have the good sense to admit
Linux' shortcomings how is Linux ever going to develop further?

> AND THE KERNEL LIST IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR THIS BULLSHIT!

This is definitely NOT bullshit - this list is where the future
direction of Linux is discussed. And if you feel that Linux needs no
further development then why have this list at all???

Y.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.086 / U:0.528 seconds]