    SubjectRe: Swap Files
    On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

    > Yea! You are finally on the same wavelength as me, hence my reason
    > for starting this thread on linux-kernel :-)

    Okay, why didn't you say so from the very beginning? :-)

    > How about changing sys_swapoff() too? Perhaps adding a flags parameter
    > like sys_swapon() already has?

    No, I don't think that would be necessary. It can be done safely in
    userspace.

    The only reason I can think of for not changing swapoff -a is consistency:
    since swapon -a turns on all swap devices/files in /etc/fstab, swapoff
    should do the opposite. On the other hand, umount -a is already
    inconsistent with mount -a (reading from mtab, as opposed to fstab), so..

    Right now I'm working on the swapon/swapoff program from the mount
    package to make it use /proc/swapareas.

    > Note: I am prepared to make these changes myself.

    Don't bother, I already have them in my running kernel. :-)

    moisil:~# cat /proc/swapareas
    Filename Type Size
    /swapfile file 4092
    /dev/hda1 partition 34236

    It works fine for me. I'll make the changes available as soon as I'm done
    with the userspace swapoff.

    Ionut

    --
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:58.916 seconds]