SubjectRe: modutils, the next generation
   Date: 	Wed, 15 Jan 97 11:11 MET
From: Martin Buck <Martin-2.Buck@student.uni-ulm.de>

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to see whether an object file actually is a
kernel module before you try to insmod it? Of course, you could use nm and
look for the required symbols, but making it obvious from the filename
looks like a good idea to me. Please note that I'm not talking about sanity
checks insmod has to do; all I want is to make it easier for the user to
distinguish between normal object files and objects files that can be
loaded into a kernel.

Right now kernel modules are in well-defined places in the filesystem.
(/lib/modules, etc.) So while I see your point, I'm not sure how much
different it really makes in the actual practice.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.044 / U:0.248 seconds]