    SubjectRe: modutils, the next generation
    > I think the crux of the matter is that one really does care that only
    > proper modules get loaded into the kernel -- the result of loading a
    > .o that *wasn't* a module would be ugly indeed.

    Without conciously designing one, I don't think you'll just
    run across a random object file that will pass initial sanity
    checks to be loaded as a module.

    > Better would be if
    > modules were fully version-locked in some way, so that there was a
    > high probability that if a module was incompatible with a particular
    > kernel, it would not load at all.

    There is a spot in both the old and new module formats to store
    the version of the kernel that the module was built against. This
    value _is_ checked before anything else happens.

    > And, ideally, if the kernel were
    > changed but still compatible with a particular module, the module
    > could be loaded unchanged. (Unfortunately, I don't understand the
    > module system well enough to know to what degree MODVERSIONS takes
    > care of this.)

    To an absurdly high degree of probability, MODVERSIONS does let
    this happen safely.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.029 / U:49.984 seconds]