SubjectRe: how do you prevent all kernel files from being recompiled?
From
In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.970108152329.24380A-100000@waves1.whoi.edu> Jim Partan <jimp@waves1.whoi.edu> writes:
I'm working on developing a new driver, and I don't want to recompile
every file when I only make changes to one or two files.

I'm sure the answer is quite simple, and I'm displaying my ignorance, but
I haven't figured it out. If someone could help me out, it would save me a
lot of time!

I have been seeing the problem also. It really is a bug. "make" is
supposed to ensure that no file is recompiled needlessly.

The quick fix is to disable module versions -- set CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
off. I haven't gotten to the bottom of the matter, but it seems that
the problem is that if your genksyms isn't working quite right, make
winds up regenerating include/linux/modversions.h and/or module.h
every time you attempt to compile the kernel, and many, many files
depend on those .h files.

I have some suspicion that the root problem is that (1) genksyms was
changed significantly in one of the recent releases of the module
utilities, (2) 2.1.* depends on the new version, (3) this fact isn't
documented in, e.g., the README, (4) the makefile doesn't test for the
new version and abort if it isn't present.

Dale
--
Dale R. Worley Ariadne Internet Services
Voice: +1 617-899-7949 Fax: +1 617-899-7946 E-mail: worley@ariadne.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.033 / U:0.088 seconds]