    SubjectRe: [off-topic] Fully virtualisable CPUs
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    > On the intel chips instructions that report the CPU state don't cause
    > an exception. Pity as if they did we could conceivably just boot windows95
    > or nt or OS/2 or whatever in a window (and vice versa).

    > Alan

    It seems to me trivial to have a little virtualisable module which
    simply picked up an instruction, examined it for whether it was trying
    to get a report on CPU state, and then recoded the instructions to do
    the CPU state manually, and at the end of the code piece jump back
    into the little just-in-time-interpreting-reassembler for the next

    Yeah it would run slow the first few times a process ran, but it would
    leave a long trail of compiled piecelets, and without too much
    difficulty that could be cached on disk along with the executable so
    that next time the executable was run the loader would load the
    cache'd interpreted reassembled progress. In this way, one could even
    boot a new version of Linux in a Linux window, or FreeBSD, or NT, or
    Windows '95, or ... CP/M :) or Solaris 'x86 ... Heck I can do this
    myself. Anybody have references on:

    * x86 instruction set

    on the Internet someplace I could borrow?

    I could just use the FreeBSD boot disk as a testbed ...

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:1.872 seconds]