SubjectRe: Booting off of a MD striped drive?
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Adam J Megacz wrote:

> Hi. I have 2 drives, MD-ed together, that I'd like to boot off of.
> Right now I have a root partition on the first one, and the rest of the
> first one is striped with the second one. Is there a way to make them
> into one BIG drive and just boot off of that (i.e., ardcode 'mdadd
> /dev/md0 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdb1' into the kernel). Could an initial ram
> disk be used? Could I have a small root partition to set up the MD
> device and then unmount that partition and remount /dev/md0 as root?
> Even better yet, is there a kernel parameter I can pass to MD that will
> let it know that md0=hda1+hdb1? Thanks for any help 'yall can give me.

From kernel's side it should work fine with an initrd. Just do the 'mdadd'
within the linuxrc script, and it should be fine.

But I don't know if LILO can handle md'ed drives. If not, you would have
to boot from a floppy. Not that nice.

Gerd

PS: I would prefere to be able to access the root fs as is, without having
to run any tool before mounting it. This makes life much easier while
troubleshooting something.

--
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de> | http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~kraxel/

Linux hackers are funny people: They count the time in patchlevels.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.051 / U:0.112 seconds]