SubjectPossible 2.0.18 problem....

2.0.18 seems pretty stable, however I encountered a nasty problem while
doing a moderately sized recursive dir copy (~60Mb) between two MSDOS hd
partitions.

The copy appeared to freeze (drive light went out, no command prompt
returned). I flipped to another VC to investigate and at this time a load
of messages spewed out; first, DMA was disabled, then dreaded reset
retries of ide0 were performed. None succeeded. To get my hard drive to
talk to me again, it was neccessary to power off.

Upon reboot, the MSDOS-fs being writtten to wasn't happy;

Filesystem panic (dev 03:01, mounted on 03:05:20579)
fat_free: deleting beyond EOF

I've reformatted the offending fs.

Configuration info:

P100, 16Mb

ide: intel 82371 Triton PIIX (rev 2)
HD: Quantum Fireball 1280A

Kernel: support for ide, triton dma, various chipset bugfix

Is Triton DMA support known to be stable?
How do I know which chipset bugfix to use?
Am I asking for trouble using PCI bridge optimisation?

Cheers,
Chris.

PS I've also seen a solitary "Couldn't get a free page", I seem to
remember someone else bringing up the problem of them under recent kernels.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.246 / U:0.060 seconds]