SubjectRe: odd problems umounting nfs filesystems (fwd)
Date
> If I mount my CD-ROM on machine A (where it lives) and then NFS mount it on
> machine B, everything works fine. Reversing the process is somewhat more
> difficult. Unmounting the NSF mount on machine B goes OK, however
> apparently machine A doesn't get the message, since attempting to unmount

NFS is stateless it doesn't have any concept at all of an "unmount", its
idea of a mount is just "what is the root node of this file system and can
I access it ?".

Assuming your nfsd is past prehistoric it will close all cached file handles
after about 30 seconds of non use. If your nfsd is prehistoric you should
update it.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.041 / U:0.040 seconds]