SubjectRe: SMB filesystem imbalance
Lindsay Haisley enscribed thusly:

> It might be more appropriate to post this to one of the Samba forums,
> however it apparently involves SBM filesystem support in the Linux kernel.

> After mounting (using smbmount) one of my remote Win 95 drives on either of
> my Linux systems I can only read short filenames from the remote drive (e.g.
> longfi~1.txt instead of longfilename.txt). This is true for any operation
> which reads files or filenames from the W95 system (ls, cp, etc.). Writing
> files to the remote system works correctly, however. Copying
> longfilename.txt from a Linux box to a Win 95 system results in the
> appropriate long filename on the latter (as seen in Win 95) however the name
> is still truncated to longfi~1.txt in the Linux listing and in a copy back.

make config
:
Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers... Y (IMPORTANT!)
:
:
SMB filesystem support.... Yes (of course)
SMB long filename supprt... Yes (DING!)_
:
:

> I have smb support loaded as a module. vfat.o is also a module, however
> (loaded out of my startup files) to give access from Linux drives to my Win
> 95 machines under which long filenames work correctly both on reading and
> writing, as seen from the Win 95 end.

VFAT has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. This is the
SMB file system NOT the VFAT file system. VFAT is for mounting things like
Windows 95 partitions and floppies. SMB is SMB. Has nothing to do with VFAT.
Could be VFAT, FAT, NTFS or whatever at the other end of the SMB connection...

> --
> Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
> FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available via
> fmouse@fmp.com | (The Roadie) | Internet finger
> http://www.fmp.com | |

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:1.644 seconds]