    SubjectRe: modules problems
    "AC" == Alan Cox <> writes:
    AC> Its an inevitability of an efficient interface. In the SMP case its very
    AC> very hard not to have different structures. To start with your hardware
    AC> is in places quite different. We could always use the SMP build but that
    AC> would punish 99.5% or so of the folks who just happen to have only one
    AC> CPU.

    After hacking a driver for the Jorway 73a SCSI-CAMAC controler under
    Solaris 2.4, I'd agree totally. There is a tremendous amount of
    overhead in assuming that the driver need be MT safe. Solaris makes
    things have to happen this way for a sound reason but it makes the
    driver 10X heavier and more complex than we need it for an SS10 (that
    they won't let me run Linux on 8-(). I can see benefits as well for
    enforcing such a scheme even in monoprocessor situations, but one can
    code to those benefits without having that much complexity.

    On the other hand, if a company wants to support Linux, then who am I to
    complain. They should keep in mind what hardware base their code will
    run on. Maby push an MT safe (heavy but works everywhere) and a non MT
    safe (smaller and lighter) driver.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:14.036 seconds]