SubjectRe: Plea: re-indent the kernel source

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Ray Van Tassle-CRV004 wrote:
> And, yes, the Great Implementor made tab stops every 8 characters, but 8 is
> just TOO BIG for indentation. Your point about limiting nesting level to
> about 3 is generally valid, but there are _lots_ of places in the Linux
> kernel where the nexting level is higher than that (bdflush is one of these).
> So I'd request using just plain "-kr" rather than "-kr -i8".

IF I re-indent, it's definitely going to be with "-i8". If that shows up
problems in the sources, they need to be fixed, rather than worked around
with bad indenting.. (fixing them is boring, I know, but splitting things up
into inline functions, or even out-line functions, is a good thing, and bad
coding should not be the excuse to not use -i8).

However, I don't think I'll re-indent, at least not drivers etc sources that
I expect others to work on. I could re-indent the linux/*/*.c files (and the
x86 and alpha subdirectories), because those are generally "basic" files
that I expect that I have to support personally, but I don't know if even
that is really warranted. I'll think about it.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.128 / U:1.504 seconds]