SubjectMoney (was Re: test version of 2.1.0 available (fwd))

Linus> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Marc Lewis wrote:
>> give me an address and > the exchange info and I'll be more
>> than happy to support whatever > fiendish pleasure you may
>> partake in, that would not be considered "your > job!" :) > >
>> Mike
>>
>> There is a currency converter at
>> "http://www.olsen.ch/cgi-bin/exmenu"... We just need an
>> address, now.....

Linus> I _really_ don't want money. You wouldn't believe how
Linus> frustrating it is with personal cheques from the US - in
Linus> the best case it costs on the order of $10-20 USD just to
Linus> get them cached (*), and that's after arguing about it with
Linus> the bank tellers for 10 minutes.

Linus> As to the person who suggested beer - oh Gods. The Finnish
Linus> customs people are all ex-Nazis, and they've gotten a lot
Linus> grumpier since their austere leader shot his brains
Linus> out. They have a bad day EVERY DAY. Their only joy in life
Linus> is to confiscate alcohol from abroad.

How about traveler's cheques, or cashier's cheques? You could save them
up and spend them when you come to the US. Same for the beer: We could
buy them for you over here. (Usenix, San Diego, in January, for
instance. ;)

Maybe you could open a bank account over here, and we could send money
to the Linus Torvalds Beer Fund, Care of Whatever Bank. Then you could
spend the bucks when you come over. If the fund gets big, you could
ask the bank to wire some of the money to you. They could also issue
you an American Express card that debits that account automatically.
You can spend Amex anywhere.

--
Andrew C. Esh mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.148 / U:0.112 seconds]