    SubjectRe: Money
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I _really_ don't want money. You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is with
    > personal cheques from the US - in the best case it costs on the order of
    > $10-20 USD just to get them cached (*), and that's after arguing about it
    > with the bank tellers for 10 minutes.
    >

    > As to the person who suggested beer - oh Gods. The Finnish customs people are
    > all ex-Nazis, and they've gotten a lot grumpier since their austere leader
    > shot his brains out. They have a bad day EVERY DAY. Their only joy in life is
    > to confiscate alcohol from abroad.
    >
    > Linus
    >
    > (*) Think about it for a while. How safe would you rate any personal cheque
    > on a scale of 1-10? Personally, I'd call it at about a -50. You can print out
    > fake cheques on your average dot matrix printer, for Gods sake! Small
    > children in kindergarten can make one up with a pink crayon. No wonder no
    > self-respecting bank outside the US wants to have anything to do with them.

    Are Red Hat and SlackWare and their kind the only ones making a profit
    off of Linux sales? If so, Linus is really being too humble. I have 3
    consulting clients which use Linux in 24/7 production environments. All
    of these companies are making money hand-over-fist. Two of these
    companies have over 1000 employees. I am sure that there are many,
    larger companies using Linux without having to pay a single, measley
    dime, or franc, or whatever.

    You should at least set up a deposit-only internet banking account tied
    to a Finnish bank. From it you can distribute the SHAREware
    contributions amongst Linux's many deserving developers. Linus taking
    the lion's share, of course. I guess that means people may have to
    travel to Finland to get paid, but these people need to get out of the
    house anyway.

    Sincerely,
    Scott Miller
    stmiller@crosslink.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:181.380 seconds]