    Maybe I'm grasping for straw here, is there _anybody_ out there that can
    give me a definitive answer as to why ppp performance degrades steadily?

    I can initiate a ppp session with my isp, things are great, everything is
    fine. After a half hour or so, the performance begins to decline, it only
    gets worse and worse, until after several hours it becomes completely annoying
    and I shut it down and restart a new session, which will be fine, but seems to
    degrade quicker than the first. The third session degrades quicker than the
    second, etc. Until I reboot the system and start all over.

    ppp was good in 2.0.14, especially with irqtune. But ftape was broken, then
    around 18 ftape was fixed and the memory eater went away, but irq.h changed and
    ppp sucked. So 2.0.18 with the irq.h patched from 14 was a nice combination for
    me. I've since moved up, 19, 20, 21. The ppp seems to be getting worse, again.
    especially in the transition from 20 to 21, I mean really bad. I still can't
    build my sound as module either.

    Oh well, I suppose I'll stick with 20. I just fear that with the advent of 2.1
    we won't be getting any more fixes in 2.0.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.040 / U:3.148 seconds]