    SubjectRe: modules problems
    On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:

    > I think the HOW-TO and /usr/src/linux/Documentation/modules.txt should
    > be revised to clarify this point. At least when I read that text, I
    > thought that insmod and rmmod were the natural tools to use. It seemed
    > that depmod was only a cute add-on. Also, is it possible that my problems have
    > arisen because I have the directories /lib/modules/1.2.13 and
    > /lib/modules/2.0.20 and the modprobe does not know which to look
    > in? The man page seems to indicate that this is not so, but I have not
    > played to see.
    >
    > What is the recommended way to set up the default paths so that each new
    > build of kernel and modules will search for the properly compiled
    > modules? If the current kernel is 2.0.20, I suppose one could set up a link
    > /lib/modules/current -> /lib/modules/2.0.20
    > and pass options to depmod in /etc/conf.modules to search this
    > directory, but this requires the link to be updated with each new
    > kernel build. Is there a better way?

    The proper way to do this is to "do nothing". The module utilities use the
    following path to locate the proper modules

    /lib/modules/`uname -r`/

    You can see this by doing

    /sbin/modprobe -c | more

    So to compile and install the modules properly, you simply do

    make modules && make modules_install

    Add the command "/sbin/depmod -a" in your /etc/rc.d/rc.S (or equivalent)
    and this is it.

    The problem still to be fixed is a way to differentiate modules compiled
    for SMP and those for non-SMP. Working on it!

    Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
    Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
    see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca:/linuxconf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.800 seconds]