    SubjectRe: Module Versioning Problems: How to "probe" for SMP
    I have completed the modification to get module versionning differently
    for SMP and non SMP (2-3 files to modify). I will send a patch to this
    list later.

    In my earlier message, I was suggesting that modules for non-SMP goes in

    /lib/modules/2.0.xx/

    while, modules for SMP go in

    /lib/modules/2.0.xx-smp

    or something like this. This would be handy for developpers and for people
    who have SMP related hardware problems (remember the TYAN thread :-) ) and
    want to switch back and forth between two types of kernel.

    So now, I am running a 2.0.20 smp kernel on my non SMP Pentium machine. As
    expected, it works. My problem is simple

    How do I know I am running a SMP kernel. I know I can go in /proc/cpuinfo
    and count the number of CPU reported there. Yet on my system, there is
    only one, and I am running a SMP kernel, so I need to load SMP
    aware modules. For example, one may have disable one cpu (using the BIOS)
    and reboot his system with the only kernel he has (A smp one).

    I was looking for some simple way to probe the information available in
    /proc maybe. It there any ? Should we add one ? This would reduce the
    confusion.

    Thanks!

    Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
    Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
    see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca:/linuxconf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:92.076 seconds]