SubjectRe: Problem with 2.0.20
On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, Adam D. Bradley wrote:

> BTW, are we both missing something here? Is there a command-line opt (or
> another version) of patch that creates new files in the right places?

patch -p0

Excerpt from the patch man page:

-p[number], --strip[=number]
sets the pathname strip count, which controls how
pathnames found in the patch file are treated, in
case the you keep your files in a different directory
than the person who sent out the patch. The strip
count specifies how many slashes are to be stripped
from the front of the pathname. (Any intervening
directory names also go away.) For example, suppos-
ing the file name in the patch file was

/u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

setting -p or -p0 gives the entire pathname unmodi-
fied, -p1 gives

u/howard/src/blurfl/blurfl.c

without the leading slash, -p4 gives

blurfl/blurfl.c

and not specifying -p at all just gives you
"blurfl.c", unless all of the directories in the
leading path (u/howard/src/blurfl) exist and that
path is relative, in which case you get the entire
pathname unmodified. Whatever you end up with is
looked for either in the current directory, or the
directory specified by the -d option.

__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub
Waynesboro, Va (USA) http://www.cfw.com/~roadcapw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.051 / U:0.972 seconds]