    SubjectRe: memory testing [was: Re: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18]

    On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Does anybody on the kernel list know of a good test program that is generally
    > > available that can be left running over-night or similar?

    > Pick up a hairdrier and point it at your memory modules, while the system
    > is running. If some of the modules are flaky, then errors will show up
    > quite fast.

    But be careful heat is vary bad for semiconductors, especially the densest
    ones. You can use Norton or AMI diagnostics to do memory tests. I have
    not been able to run these under dosemu these programs are evidently not
    very operating system friendly. I recommend that you use the selections
    that write various problems and if possible without ECC.

    Ed Welbon;;

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:35.692 seconds]