    SubjectRe: Linux-Sparc ext2 compatibility?
    On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > As a result, e2fsprogs on a Sparc will fail most of the e2fsck
    > regression tests, since the filesystem formats are incompatible.
    > This is bad --- very bad. It means that you can't take a ext2 floppy
    > and use it as an interchange mechanism between a Sparc Linux box and a
    > i386 Linux box. It means you can't just say, "This external 1GB scsi
    > disk has an ext2 filesystem on it". You have to qualify it with whether
    > it is a Sparc ext2 filesystem or a i386 ext2 filesystem.
    > The question now is --- how do we fix this? Are there enough Sparc
    > Linux boxes out there that it's too late to do a flag day? Do we need
    > to put a lot of complexity into the kernel code and the e2fsprogs
    > utilities so that we can recognize different versions of the bitmasks
    > and do the appropriate byte swapping on the bitmasks? (This can be
    > done, but at some performance cost).
    > Or, we could decide that we don't care, and just simply leave things in
    > an incompatible state. That would be a real shame though, I think.
    > - Ted

    IMHO, fix it ASAP, and write a utiltiy to convert from one to the other.
    ie build and install the next kernel that's not going to like things, boot
    with a root disk, convert the fs, boot the new kernel and your done ;)

    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( and I don't care ;) | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:37.236 seconds]