    SubjectRe: getting Linux into business..
    Eric Youngdale wrote:
    > I am wondering whether umount should be made more robust so that
    > it essentially forks prior to each unmount attempt. When all the children
    > have died we know that everything is unmounted, and we can proceed. If
    > one of the umounts hangs, then at least all of the remaining partitions
    > are cleanly unmounted.

    Sounds like a really good start. Maybe it's even 90% sufficient.

    A related problem is that other hung processes will have their current
    directories marked as active and/or open. Those processes won't die and so
    present an obstacle to unmounting other partitions besides the hung one.
    Typically these hung processes will be something along the lines of df(1).

    > If some NFS partition cannot be unmounted, can we still force the
    > root partition back to R/O status so that it is also marked clean?

    There might also be a problem with a scsi device that's disappeared, perhaps
    because it was generating errors or perhaps because it was turned off, or...

    I would really like to see hot swap capability, too, by the way. I'd like
    to be able to move a tape drive between several machines w/o rebooting.
    Since they're not all unix, network backups aren't an option.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.031 / U:76.100 seconds]