    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel / C++
    > Is it feasible to have the kernel compile just as cleanly if the compiler
    > is set to g++ instead of gcc? My guess is it can be done but it would take
    > an enourmous amount of changes to do it, and to have it compile cleanly.
    > Has anyone considered moving the kernel on to C++? I'm not saying using

    This was already done once, I think in the 1.1 versions?
    It was decided by people who matter that it would be easier for the
    larger group that works on it to go with straight C.

    > objects and streams and all, that would require a complete rewrite of the
    > kernel and probably end up really slow anyway.. I just think it would be

    While there is truth to part of that, its very general to say it would
    end up slow with C++. Sure, with bad design and overuse of virtual
    functions it would be slower. A good class design, however, is virtually
    identical to C. If constructor overhead is too much, it is bypassable
    with custom allocators.

    Although I've not written a module, I don't see why you can't write your
    module in C++.

    Melvin Smith

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:6.576 seconds]