SubjectRe: SMP locks up when NFS times out
Lee Hetherington wrote:

> I've been having some real problems with 2.0.13 (and 2.0.11 and 2.0.12
> for that matter) SMP locking up my machine. After much experimentation
> I have determined that the problem occurs whenever an "NFS server foo
> not responding" message would've happened. When running SMP the machine
> locks up forever. When running the same kernel non-SMP the messages
> show up and the machine does not lock up (it also starts doing NFS
> normally once the connection is restored).

[...]

> I can now lock up the machine at will by doing the following:
>
> 1. start a big NFS read (10s of MB) with something like
>
> % sum /big/nfs/file
>
> 2. wait 10s or so
>
> 3. pull the ethernet connection
>
> As soon as you see your first "NFS server not responding" (at least I
> think you see it, now I'm not sure) you're locked up for good.

[...]

> Lee Hetherington
> ilh@lcs.mit.edu

It isn't a fix, but you could/should try adding the 'soft'
option to the mount option list. With soft mounting of nfs volumes,
Linux should retry the connection once and then give up gracefully if
the remote machine doesn't respond.
I use this with the machines at work(not on the Linux machine
though since it doesn't have any nfs mounts), and it works well under
AIX, Solaris, and SunOS.

--Darrin

--
FAQ Suggestions:
Q: I upgraded without reading release notes, now my system's broke -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.093 / U:0.132 seconds]