SubjectRe: This is really Ridiculous
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Brian Grunkemeyer wrote:

[snip]
> If Linus only did this with a reasonably chosen subset of the possible
> configurations, then the only costs to him are the few hours for each release
> this test would take, the space to compile a kernel, the CPU time for these
> compiles, assuming his computer is on 24x7 anyway. I think this is a
> reasonable suggestion.

And what constitutes a reasonably chosen subset? There will always be
drivers that are missed by such a procedure. Linus and the other
developers already put a phenomenal amount of effort and time into kernel
development yet you expect them to test extra configurations so that you
don't have to do anything! Sheesh ... get a grip on reality please. If
this is a reasonable suggestion why don't *YOU* do it. Feel free to set up
a 'reasonably chosen subset' of configurations and do some compilation and
stress testing of new patch releases. Everyone can then wait in
anticipation for the Brian Grunkemeyer stamp of approval for the latest
patch.

If x doesn't compile for you, use x-1 or 1.2.13 or whatever. Report the
problem or fix the problem and wait for the next release. Nothing could be
simpler. Testing new patches is the least us lurkers can do to contribute
to Linux.

--Craig

PS. Since this has the potential to degenerate into a flame war, please
direct any comments about this to me personally rather than to
linux-kernel.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.128 / U:0.192 seconds]