    SubjectRe: kcore and memory questions
    On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:

    > I have two questions for you Linux experts:
    >
    > 1. What is the maximum amount of RAM that Linux supports in the various
    > architectures? Where is this information defined/stored?

    As much as the box will hold, or proberbly some very big number mesured
    in terabytes (for more that 64Mb you have to tell the kernel with the
    mem=xM command line option).

    > 2. I am running Linux version 2.0.8 (root@elsie) (gcc version 2.7.2) #4
    > Tue Jul 23 14:04:23 EDT 1996
    >
    > Note the output of ls -l /proc | grep kcore
    >
    > [root@pokie /proc]# ls -l /proc | grep kcore
    > -r-------- 1 root root 100667392 Jul 28 20:37 kcore
    >
    > Wow! Is that 100 MB file for real? What is it for?

    It's 96Mb, it's all the memory in your box ;). /proc is a virtual
    filesystem, and is really only a window on the kernel (well more like a
    door, some of the files can be written to, and change variables). If you
    loog around you have a directory in there for each process, and several
    others. One example, writting a number in /proc/sys/kernel/panic causes
    the kernel to wait that many seconds before rebooting after a panic
    (0=forever).

    > Thanks for the info.
    >
    > -sen

    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.025 / U:65.212 seconds]