    SubjectRe: Nasty comments
    msmith@quix.robins.af.mil (Mr. Jolt Cola)  wrote on 27.07.96 in <9607271524.AA06694@quix.robins.af.mil>:

    > > > Bull. It is what I would associate wht a bit of pride and respect for
    > > > others in what he has done.
    > >
    > > Well, _he_ was talking about "pride in what you have done". And as far as
    > > that, I still think he got his polarities switched.
    >
    > We have a different definition of pride.

    Seems so. For some weird reason, however, I seem to be unable to parse
    what your definition is.

    > > > Practice what you guys preach, don't hack
    > > > the guy for being "decent" if you don't want to be hacked for being
    > > > "profane".
    > >
    > > Maybe you should reread what I was answering. If you want to attack
    > > someone, you're attacking the wrong guy.
    >
    > Nope. He made a case for cleaning up his comments before release
    > without attacking anyone, and then you tried to imply he was
    > prejudiced. ???

    Well, that's definitely not how I read it. I found it fairly offensive.
    Maybe _you_ consider stuff like his leading paragraph "not attacking
    anyone"; I beg to differ.

    > > > No, it demonstrates that he is probably a professor and doesn't want
    > > > to be called in by the dean when someone complains.
    > >
    > > Well, maybe that's the style the US universities work - I wouldn't know.
    > > However, I have a hard time believing that this might be a problem around
    > > here. Not since about 1968, that is.
    > >
    > > Which is as should be.
    >
    > You say -yourself- that you have no business commenting on the
    > above. You are right, "you wouldn't know." And so you should stop
    > criticizing those in different cultures, especially when they were
    > only advocating their side, not attacking anyone.

    Well, if it _is_ different over there, then that is certainly nothing to
    be proud of; however, that does not change the fact that judging value and
    usefulness of code by the presence or absence of profanity definitely
    demonstrates prejudice.

    > > > Or they illustrate that some coders are prima-donnas who are wrapped
    > > > up in writing code for the whole world to see. Myself, if I've
    > >
    > > This is so utter nonsense that I won't even try to answer it. You seem to
    > > have a very weird outlook.
    >
    > No, you have a thick skull and want to criticize those with different
    > views across cultural boundaries, rather than listen to what they have
    > to say. And then claim they have a weird outlook because it doesn't
    > match yours.

    Now would you please tell me _who_ just called people that didn't share
    his world-view "prima-donnas"? And that's not the only thing wrong with
    that paragraph.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.030 / U:29.504 seconds]