SubjectRe: SB16 Sound driver problem
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Alan Shutko wrote:
>
> > Interesting. My /dev/sndstat also replies 4.5, but I have no problem
> I recall there were earlier (before the SB16 support was available about
> three years ago) problems with randomly occurring MIDI interrupts. I
> suspect these interrupts may cause the lockup in this case too. They
> may occur during the window between registering the interrupt handler and
> initializing the MIDI driver. So could somebody having a SB16 v4.5 and the
> lockup problem add a "printk("sbintr, src=%x\n", src);" call to the sbintr()
> routine in linux/drivers/sound/sb_common.c. The right location is after
> "src=sb_getmixer (devc, IRQ_STAT);" at or near line 144.

My /dev/sndstat replies with a 4.11 and I have had it locking up the
kernel since 2.0.1. If the sound driver is compiled into the kernel, the
system freezes (requiring RESET be hit) after the line "Initializing
Sound Driver." If I try and load the driver as a module, the system
locks up solid right after the insmod with no message.

I tried putting the printk in as suggested and the system locked before
anything was printed. I've been trying every kernel update between 2.0.1
and 2.0.8 and have had the same problem with every one of them :(

Dave.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.106 / U:0.104 seconds]