    SubjectRe: newly released clone() based pthreads package

    On Mon, 22 Jul 1996 wrote:
    > I haven't really looked into the kernel scheduler code, but was
    > wondering about ways to get rid of some of the extra overhead
    > incurred context switching between two clone() based threads of the
    > same process.

    Already done, actually. The overhead for context switching between
    threads is minimal: on the x86 this is handled by the hardware (no TLB
    flush when the page table pointers match), on other architectures (alpha,
    sparc), the context switch routines notice it automatically.

    The only thing that needs doing is to give some "bonus points" for the
    scheduling code to threads that share the same mm space, in order for the
    scheduler to know that it should prefer scheduling threads after each
    other because the switch is low-overhead. This is trivial to do, look at
    the "goodness()" function in kernel/sched.c, where it does something like

    /* .. and a slight advantage to the current process */
    if (p == prev)
    weight += 1;

    which should probably be

    /* .. and a slight advantage to same VM setup */
    if (p->mm == prev->mm)
    weight += 1;

    but I haven't actually tried that out..

    > There are probably some changes that could be made to the kernel to
    > lower the overhead of switching between two threads of the same
    > process. The one that I can think of is sharing of all thread invariant
    > task_struct data. When the clone() ( do_fork() ) routine is called
    > a new struct task_struct is allocated, and the clone()'ing process's
    > entire task_struct is copied.

    No. Only the per-thread data is copied, and the thread-invariant stuff is
    already shared. Look at the "struct mm_struct", "struct files_struct" and
    "struct signal_struct" etc pointers in the task structure. A clone() that
    shares those structures just increments a usage pointer instead of copying

    In short, the kernel should do all of this correctly already, the only thing
    lacking is the testing part (and as a part of testing people may find some
    things that could be handled better, I hope the pthreads interface will allow
    more people to test this all out).

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:9.536 seconds]