    SubjectRe: Happiness is fast compilation over NFS

    > After a great deal of disappointment because the nice fast Linux
    > systems we bought at work (mostly at my urging) compile slower than
    > diskless sun3s*, I finally sat down and started playing around with the
    > GNU assembler.
    > Lo and behold, if you define FILE_OFFSET_IS_CHAR_INDEX at the top of
    > libbfd.c (or in bfd/Makefile) and recompile, writes get coalesced
    > properly and compilation over NFS works the way it should.

    bfd/ChangeLog in binutils 2.7:

    Tue May 14 12:35:32 1996 Ian Lance Taylor <>

    * libbfd.c: Remove #ifdef FILE_OFFSET_IS_CHAR_INDEX, and compile
    the code unconditionally.

    So as soon as HJ releases his special Linux edition of binutils 2.7 you
    can finally forget this issue.

    > I just thought there would be other people out on the list who would
    > appreciate this information...
    > [*no flames, please. With compiler, source, and target all over NFS -
    > which is a typical configuration with most modern workstations - Linux
    > compile performance is awful. The problem is 2-fold - the Linux NFS
    > client doesn't coalesce small writes into larger ones, and the GNU
    > assembler + GNU libc interact by default in a way which causes the
    > assembler to do most of its writing in chunks of 20 to 100 bytes.]

    Keep your temp files on local disk or even avoid their existence by
    -pipe. Helps extremly for the NFS case.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:0.056 seconds]