SubjectRe: Driver optimization.
On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Darren J Moffat wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Rakesh Dubey wrote:
>
> > A somewhat more sophisticates approach is used in NextStep where you
> > have a fat binary for several architectures. The program loader knows
>

> The same happens in MacOS for m68k and PPC binaries. I've even seen
> programs running with m68k and PPC code at the same time, since MacOS for
> PPC does actually have an m68k emulator in it. eg. Photoshop m86k
> running on PPC with PPC native plugins for Kai's power tools.
>

> The other answer to multiarch binaries is of course the Java way....

I think the answer lies with Openstep for multiarch binaries. Check
out http://www.gnustep.org. With Openstep applications no longer become
dependant upon the OS. Right now I think they have Openstep for Solaris, HPUX,
Next, and NT. This means that an Openstep app will run on all these OSs in the
same binary form. Has some kind of Object layer independence. Anyway, I'm not
an expert by far, so I I'm wrong, don't flame, just say 'you're wrong'.

PS I would like to see this in linux....

| "I believe OS/2 is the operating system of the '90s" B.Gates,Comdex'89 |
Ralph Lewis \ / f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.
rlewis@wsu.edu -O- http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~rlewis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.076 / U:0.096 seconds]