    SubjectAdmin util wish list
    I've been thinking about the various admin/system-admin utils which other
    systems have and how useful they'd be under Linux.

    Right now, there are a lot of utilities which are on other Unix systems
    which have, to my knowledge, no counterpart under Linux. All of these
    utilities are nothing more than windows into the kernel, revealing system
    characteristics, configurations, etc.

    I know that this is, strictly speaking, user-space stuff, but I am not
    asking for the utilities, but rather if/when/how-much kernel support is
    there for these utilities to be written.

    Comments are welcome.

    Util OS presently on Comments
    sysctl BSD /proc/sys seems set up to do this
    sysinfo solaris I don't know of anything which comes close
    sar solaris ditto
    UERF digital u./vms syslog on steroids, but nice system

    Anyone else have additional candidates? I have looked under AIX, but
    can't find a single thing useful on this front.
    Todd Graham Lewis Core Engineering Mindspring Enterprises (Standard Disclaimers) (800) 719 4664, x2804

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:34.756 seconds]