    SubjectRe: Simple, effective boot graphic (fwd)
    On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, DUPRE Christophe wrote:

    > What I did is manually strip most of the printk in the kernel source,
    > which was a very boring job. And I don't want to do it again.
    > The point is, why not make it a compile time option ? It's no kernel
    > bloat, because with it, there's less code in the kernel... :-)

    You may have wasted your time stripping all those messages. Take a look
    at the first page or two of kernel/printk.c. You will see code which
    deals with the various kernel message urgency levels. The minimum level
    can be changed there with a result which effect the boot screen. Once
    you are booted, I think you can use klogd/syslogd to reset the minimum
    message level to whatever you want.

    Kernel messages are fully configurable, turn them on turn them off, send some
    here, send some there, whatever. Infact there is even an ioctl (look for
    TIOCCONS in kernel/tty_io.c) which will allow you to redirect ALL kernel
    console messages to a single unused virtual console, you can then ALT-F? to
    that console to check them periodically. There is also an escape sequence
    which MAY allow echoing of kernel messages to a serial port, but I'm not sure
    about this one.

    Hope this helps someone...
    William E. Roadcap
    TITUS Software
    Waynesboro, Va (USA)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:7.108 seconds]