SubjectRe: boot parameters, init= and security issues
Date
Hi,

> >> Generally, though I am in favor of your proposal. Providing as many
> >> boot-time security measures as possible sounds like a *very* good idea
> >> --- but maybe I am just a little bit paranoid :-)

this reminds me of root NFS which tries to fallback to a floppy boot when
it doesn't get a RARP/BOOTP answer after a certain time. I think this
feature is a bad idea in terms of security:

- let a diskless machine boot its kernel
- unplug the network cable before the kernel tries to get RARP/BOOTP answers
- wait the the kernel gives up waiting for a RARP/BOOTP answer
- insert your favourite bootdisk

You may say given physical access to a machine this class of attacks is always
easy. Well, you're right. It's just that the NFS root stuff just makes it
*too* easy. There is a big difference between just removing and reattaching a
network cable (no tools required) and other, more conspicuous, manipulations.

Aside of this this fallback action when no RARP/BOOTP answer is received is
in my experience never a helpful action; in case of a large network like my
university's it's even the wrong thing after a complete power failure. (The
right thing would be to wait for the servers coming back online. Given the
problems with our larger servers this might mean waiting for hours.)

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.036 / U:0.604 seconds]