SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
   Date: 	Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:46:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Mark E. Levitt" <melevitt@mailbox.syr.edu>

Ok, here's the fundamental point I was trying to make: Do we want, as
a design goal, for Linux to be an OS for game developers? Is "supported
by game developers" really a goal for Linux/UNIX?

I'm not sure this is the right question. There are many different ways
we can make Linux "good for game developers". We could write libraries
which make it easy to use the shared memory extention with X. (By and
large, most users will have X running, and game developers will adapt,
just as game developers are adapting to writing arcade games under
Windows 95.) We could make a library which made it easy for developers
to do things either as an X game or under an enhanced SVGALIB.

There are many things we can doing kernel hacking. People who have seen
battlezone and flight simulator on an SGI will understand there's an
awful lot you can do while still being a "true Unix system", while still
using X11.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.821 / U:0.636 seconds]