    SubjectRe: 1.3.100: My notes, as usual
    >Actually, we could do something like this.  I think it was Alan Cox (or
    >possibly Eric Young) who first suggested that we could use the gcc
    >attribute feature to put certain procedure into a separate ELF section,
    >so that at the end of the boot sequence, those pages could be
    >marked as being reusable. It would require doing some GCC-specific
    >features, but it shouldn't require any special as or ld hacks.

    Yeah, and I actually worked up some diffs to start to do this.
    I uncovered some ld bugs in the process :-(. All I did was to try putting
    some functions in a different ELF section - I never tried actually releasing
    the pages to the memory manager (but this wouldn't be hard).

    It isn't a huge amount of memory that you would save, but there
    definitely is something. Probably in the neighborhood of 50-200K depending
    upon what you have configured into your kernel.

    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep,
    And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:7.768 seconds]