    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
    Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > If you make the routines VESA complaint, then they can't take advantage
    > of any of the card-specific accelerated features. This means that
    > performance of the X server will go *down* as a result.

    Well, not really. VBE/AF should provide access to accelerated functions too.
    A VBE based driver may be one GFX driver, while others (card specific) need
    to control other cards.

    I am not sure what the debate really is about. I do see the gfx card as just
    another piece of hardware, and if a kernel driver is right for one device then
    it is right for the other.

    At the same time also think that X may be a good replacement, and a much better
    one if it can export a low level API to access the card's functionality. DCA is
    a good start.

    --
    Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@ise.canberra.edu.au, eyal@pcug.org.au)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:59.696 seconds]