SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.
Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> If you make the routines VESA complaint, then they can't take advantage
> of any of the card-specific accelerated features. This means that
> performance of the X server will go *down* as a result.

Well, not really. VBE/AF should provide access to accelerated functions too.
A VBE based driver may be one GFX driver, while others (card specific) need
to control other cards.

I am not sure what the debate really is about. I do see the gfx card as just
another piece of hardware, and if a kernel driver is right for one device then
it is right for the other.

At the same time also think that X may be a good replacement, and a much better
one if it can export a low level API to access the card's functionality. DCA is
a good start.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@ise.canberra.edu.au, eyal@pcug.org.au)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:1.625 / U:0.656 seconds]