    SubjectRe: Driver optimization.
    On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Khan M. Klatt wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > > I was reading some NT sources (No, please don't shoot me :-), and
    > > found something that Linux should've had for quite a while now.
    > On a similar note, I was speaking to a friend who is fairly familiar with
    > NT. He states that you can install NT 3.5/4.0 on computer A, a 586, and
    > also on computer B, a DEC alpha, and also computer C, a PowerPC RS/6000.
    > Then you can go to a store and buy Word or Office for NT, and install the
    > same software on computer A and on computer B and on computer C.
    > Now I must admit this sounded really unlikely; after all, what kind of
    > binary format could be implemented to generate code that is acceptable to
    > a DEC Alpha, a Pentium, and a PowerPC?

    Highly unlikely.... But since DEC Alpha, x86 and PPC are three major
    platforms for NT, I know that many programs ship on the same CD the three
    versions, so what he said was basically true, but it's not the exact same

    What is true, though, is that NT rewrites parts of the programs on the
    first run. I don't know exactly how nor to what extend, but I'm pretty
    sure there's some rewriting.

    Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
    Internet: Qc, Canada
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    "Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
    l'etre" - Fernando Savater

    -- Geek Code 2.1 --
    GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
    3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

    #include <disclaimer.h>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.032 / U:1.032 seconds]