    SubjectRe: BIOS question
    In message <ML-2.2.835982498.9124.david@aerospace.emcee.com>, dfries@mail.win.o
    rg writes:
    >> I am running a P5-133 with AMI BIOS v. 1.00.05 BR0T as reported at boot
    >> time, and an AHA 2940 with BIOS reported as v 1.2 at boot time
    >>
    >> I noticed that dmesg | grep BIOS gives
    >>
    >> pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fcf70
    >> pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfcf80
    >> pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfcfa1
    >> Where does the 2.10 come from?
    >

    >This bios does not refer to the computer's rom "BIOS".

    I wrote the code, and can assure you that the BIOS in the message
    is referring to the ROM BIOS.

    >This "BIOS" is part of the linux kernel and is compiled in when you make
    >the kernel.

    Nope.

    >The revision 2.10 refers to a revision of the pci bus architecture.

    Nope. It refers to the PCI BIOS specification implemented.

    >The reason your AMI BIOS version and AHA version isn't reported is simply once
    >the linux kernel is booted it doesn't use BIOS,

    Nope. Certain 32-bit interfaces, such as that provided by the PCI BIOS,
    are used after bootup. The PCI BIOS code is used for probing and a few
    post-mortem checks.

    >(note there is a section of
    >the kernel that is called BIOS, but it doesn't use any of the computer's bios).
    Nope.

    --
    By using this line in your .sig, you violate 18 USC 1462, committing a class D
    felony, good for up to 5 years in prison and a $250,000 fine:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:91.492 seconds]