    SubjectRe: real kernel bloat
    Date
    In article <199606251135.LAA14085@magneton-ra.swmed.edu>,
    Alex Krimkevich <alex@magneton-ra.swmed.edu> wrote:
    >almost anything. It is true that DEC's kernel is several Megs in size,
    >but don't forget it is capable of much more than Linux is, and,
    >arguably, will ever be. The lacking capabilities are of no concern
    >to most people, however the truth remains: Digital UNIX is a better
    >multitasking, multiuser OS than Linux. I am no DEC's or Sun's fan,
    >but let's be honest - there is no way that a group of people, most
    >of who hold daytime jobs, can compete with the multibillion
    >corporations, which employ some of the best minds on this planet.

    This way of thinking is exactly why I love to reformat alphas from DECunix
    to Linux and PCs from SCO to Linux... I always love it when administrators
    realise Linux runs better...

    Ok.. so I am biased... I have been working with linux since 0.98.something
    and seen the University's Sparcs crash and crash... I then got to see
    the new Alphas that replaced the Sparcs having a 'shutdown -r now' running
    every night from crontab to keep the memory leakers from exausting the VM.

    I finally got out of University and managed to get the local Digital reps
    (for whom I work now) give me an AS 200 to run Linux on it and be so pleased
    I now have 4 AXP in their ISP serving pages, running harvest and other
    stuff... I even managed to get out of the Ciscos and replaced them with
    PCs, Linux and Emerging Tech. cards...

    I love Linux, I get my income supporting it and will continue to do so...

    Have a nice day (and sorry for turning this into advocacy but could not resist...)

    PS.

    --
    Eduardo Kaftanski
    WebHost, el primer Proveedor de Presencia Internet