    Date (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
    > My belief is that the only reasonable solution is to permit the user
    > to control the scanning order (including allowing gaps). The *ideal*
    > would be to let the user afiliate arbitrary device names which
    > arbitrary controller-target-LUN tuplets, but if at least the
    > controller scanning order is determined we're remotely OK.

    So how about the following proposal.

    1) As a fallback, stick to the established way of naming devices in
    order to allow for bootstrapping a new system and in order to keep
    backward compatibility for systems that do not care about advanced
    device assignment.

    2) At boot time, allow for arbitrarily shuffling device
    identifiers. If you do not care about reassigning your root device,
    this can be done first thing after init starts. If you want to
    reassign your root device, do it in /linuxrc and use a
    pre-initialized ramdisk image.

    Come to think of it, most of this could probably already be done in
    userspace, by dynamically creating devices at boot time. All that
    needs to be done is writing a small program that scans /proc/scsi,
    reads a configuration file and then creates new devices in /dev.

    This looks so simple, I am sure I have probably missed some obvious
    problem ;-/

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.029 / U:187.244 seconds]