    SubjectRe: real kernel bloat
       Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 23:02:42 +1200 (NZST)
    From: "J. Sean Connell" <ankh@canuck.gen.nz>

    No, and since this machine is about a month away from being our #1
    machine, we're not going to be, either.

    I can understand the concern. It's nice to be able to pass the buck
    to a paid support center and tell your users "I have the engineer on
    it now" when the machine tosses cookies. But we'll have that for
    SparcLinux some day.

    Not that I think badly of SparcLinux; it's just that when you have
    a machine whose load average routinely goes above twenty (some days
    above 40), you kinda wanna have a known good and rock-solid OS
    behind it.

    Load of 40? Try a load of 300/400 with 200 of those processes being
    crashme invocations and the rest being parallel builds, this is on an
    SMP 4 processor SS10 with 130MHZ HyperSparcs, and yes it runs
    SparcLinux.

    Meanwhile I can bring Solaris2.x down in under 30 seconds flat on any
    sun4c/sun4m out there with very little effort....

    I can't wait until there is a proof of concept SparcLinux box out
    there doing "real work", and I think there will be soon. Anyone will
    agree with me who has ever dealt with Sun support when they have hit a
    serious bug ;-)

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    dm@sgi.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:2.196 seconds]