    SubjectRe: SCSI device numbering (was: Re: Ideas for v2.1
    > Come to think of it, most of this could probably already be done in
    > userspace, by dynamically creating devices at boot time. All that
    > needs to be done is writing a small program that scans /proc/scsi,
    > reads a configuration file and then creates new devices in /dev.

    Starting to sound like yet another version of /dev being completely
    dynamic. If I recall, there was some pressure to avoid this.
    I have no idea why (but what do I know...).

    > This looks so simple, I am sure I have probably missed some obvious
    > problem ;-/

    Luckily I've not heard of anyone using Linux aboard the space shuttle :-)
    (Imagine: Houston, we have a problem - our lp is on fire... )

    --
    Andrew E. Mileski
    mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net My home page http://www.redhat.com/~aem/

    Red Hat Software sponsors these pages - I have no other affilitation
    with Red Hat Software, and I have never used any of their products.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:6.216 seconds]