    SubjectRe: Drawbacks of implementing undelete entirely in user space
    Date
    On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

    > How about moving the deleted file into a directory .wastebasket/XXXXX,
    > where XXXXX is the inode number of the directory the file was in at
    > the moment it was deleted. If that directory has the same permissions
    > as the original, you do not even need special tools to undelete or
    > "empty trash".. a shell script or perl script will do! Also, this works
    > recursively and you can restore everything if you undelete in reverse
    > order.

    Well, if you're going to do it, why not do it so:

    1) Have one .wastebasket (or whatever) at the root of each physical
    partition. This way, you can manage the disk consumption where it really
    matters, on a per-partition level, and you can do it far more easily than
    with 100s of .wastebaskets spread throughout the system.

    You would want it per-fs so that you could simply link a file to the
    .wastebasket directory and unlink it from it's old location, rather than
    having actually to move it.

    2) Assign the files minimalist names and rather keep a database of time
    "deleted", original location, owner, group, permission, and size.
    This would be much more amenable to different expiration algorithms and
    would allow very fast tools for processing the information. You could
    still access this with non-setuid perl scripts.

    > Of course the directory structure under .wastbasket stays at max
    > 1 level deep.

    # ls -l .wastebasket

    total 486909
    drwxr-xr-x 2 tlewis tlewis 1024 Jun 9 15:12 important
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1024 Jun 9 15:12 Very_Important
    drwxr-xr-x 2 betty veronica 4096 Jun 9 15:12 Oh-God-this-is-SO...

    > In every directory you can then type "lsrm" and it
    > will just do something like
    >
    > stat(&st, ".");
    > getmountpoint(buf, ".");
    > sprintf(buf2, "ls %s/.wastebasket/%d", buf, st.st_ino);
    > system(buf2);

    I've got it! To build a time machine, all you have to do is propel your
    vehicle faster than the speed of light! Of course, there are still
    details, but that's the easy part, so I'll leave that to the programmers.

    8^)

    Todd Graham Lewis Core Engineering Mindspring Enterprises
    tlewis@mindspring.com (Standard Disclaimers) (800) 719 4664, x2804

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.022 / U:62.648 seconds]