SubjectRe: Drawbacks of implementing undelete entirely in user space
Date
My experience with .wastebasket under Solaris would lead me to be
disinclined to any solution that does not begin expiration immediately
upon (disk utilization > threshold). Had a very scary experience with
101% util and not knowing that .wastebasket was there. (Solaris had a
bug whereby under certain conditions the responsible application did not
purge the directory, so it just grew and grew...)

I would think that such an automatic expiration process could be handled
in a daemon, rather than in the kernel. Such an fs monitor could also
serve as a dropping-point for such files; a certain portion of disk space
or a separate (encrypted? gzipped? jk 8^) partition could be set aside
for such files, providing a bulkhead against out-of-control "deleted
files". Undelete is always and necessarily a hit-or-miss thing, so a
limit on undeleted files would be acceptable.

$0.02

Todd Graham Lewis Core Engineering Mindspring Enterprises
tlewis@mindspring.com (Standard Disclaimers) (800) 719 4664, x2804

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.678 / U:0.104 seconds]