    SubjectRe: Undelete in user space
    On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Rogier Wolff wrote:
    > Linus' opinion on "what goes into the kernel and what doesn't" is
    > that what CAN be done in userspace, should go in userspace.

    I though that Linus' oppinion of what goes in the kernel goes more allong
    the lines of what can be done more easly where. Most everything could be
    done in userspace, and Linux would be a microkernel, it's not, and it
    does lots in kernelspace. For example Linus thinks that unionfs can be
    done more easly in userspace (The person that was devloping it in the
    kernel was having a hell of a time, it was called ifs btw).

    > MOST users won't want this undelete stuff. If they DO, then they
    > should configure the extra libc-with-undelete.whatever.

    Never wanted to undelete a file ever, never deleted a file, then realised
    that you didn't want to do that ? Then you won't, but there are a lot of
    people that have done things like that, me included.

    > That libc should also provide a symbol called for example
    > "real_unlink" to use the system call....
    > Roger.
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.041 / U:13.772 seconds]