    SubjectRe: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1) (fwd)
    Forwarding a message from Albert Cahalan <>:
    > Yes, you missed the point. The point is that some people do not want
    > to see the boot messages. By the time init is spawned the kernel has
    > already spewed out several pages of cryptic stuff and you might as
    > well start X.

    Most of the talk I have read on linux-kernel recently about boot
    graphics is really disturbing. I don't want to see a penguin when
    I boot my boxes - not even a recently fed or post-coital one. I
    want to see boot messages - ugly, precise and informative.

    However, not everybody thinks the same way. Fine. There are some
    suggestions - everything from modifying the MBR to lilo, to
    second-stage boot loaders, to running it from init.

    I'd like to offer a suggestion. I don't want the kernel and underlying
    tools bloated with special purpose graphic code, so let's stick
    the penguin image in user space, where it belongs.

    The next question becomes, how do we prevent the kernel from
    displaying the startup messages?

    Since the kernel has an architected way to route kernel messages around
    the place (to klogd, etc.), I suggest an optional setting (which might
    be provided in the boot args) to the kernel to buffer all startup
    messages without display.

    Once syslogd and friends are running they can read those messages and
    take appropriate action - perhaps logging to a file or a non-displayed
    virtual console.

    Basically, preventing the messages from displaying before we are
    under control of init means the problem is effectively reduced to
    "how can we display a fullscreen image" (which I expect is solved
    already, but since I don't mess with non-X graphics, I wouldn't know
    offhand what utility to run to achieve it). We can then control
    this boot image with a shell script - a different image for each
    day of the week, or a generated image for the kernel's totem
    (is that Zen penguin on milk or endorphins?), or whatever.

    Kralizec Dialup Internet System Data: +61-2-837-1183, 837-1868
    Zeta Microcomputer Software Fax: +61-2-837-3753 Voice: 837-1397
    P.O. Box 177, Riverstone NSW 2765

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.024 / U:15.704 seconds]