    SubjectRe: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)
    > > > Why add it to lilo?  Why not have a graphics viewer throw up the
    > > > screen while your init scripts run? Just put it first in your rc

    I don't really think that this discussion has anything to do with the
    linux kernel, but I still have to ask a question: WHY? How often do most
    of us even BOOT the kernel? My machine's been up a couple of months
    without a reboot. On this relatively slow machine (cyrix 5x86-120mhz,
    20mb ram), it takes only a little over a minute or two to boot the kernel
    AND run my rc scripts which do a lot in themselves. I'd just as soon
    watch boot messages scroll by than have some stupid win-95 type of graphic
    masking what is really happening ("fsck error: /dev/sdc1 CORRUPTED BEYOND
    RECOGNITION", oh I can't see that because I'm watching flying clouds (or
    maybe flying penguins).

    There is absolutely no reason to add this stuff to the kernel, it doesn't
    belong there. If someone really wants it they could run a program in the
    background in their first rc.* script that switches to a certain tty and
    runs their precious screen saver.

    Brian Pape

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:43.320 seconds]