    > From: Michel LESPINASSE <>
    > > When someone switches to a unix environment and starts to administrate
    > > it, the way packages are organized always seems strange to him at first.
    > > I can remember when I was a starter, and I always asked myself why some
    > > package has to be divided into several directoryes - ie
    > > /usr/local/bin/prog, /usr/local/man/man<n>/prog, /usr/local/lib/whatever.
    > >
    > > Now that I'm a bit more experienced with this and that I've read the
    > > fsstdn and so on, I realise that the value of this organisation. but
    > > still, I'm not fully satisfied with it. It still lacks some features that
    > > would be really useful in everyday's life.
    > > Basically I would like to be able to type something like "setpackage
    > > libc-5.3.18" before my make install or my tar xvzopf, and the kernel
    > > would remember for me that any new files it creates are part of this
    > > package. This would allow for a much more generalistic solution.
    > No way.

    Why not? (Excuse my wooky shell scripting; this is just concept)

    # setpackage - starts package accumulation
    # usage: package-name
    # jhp 1Jun96

    mkdir /var/adm/package-times 2>/dev/null
    touch /var/adm/package-times/$1.start

    then unpack your files. End with...

    # endpackage - ends package accumulation
    # usage: package-name
    # jhp 1Jun96

    touch /var/adm/package-times/$1.end

    Now that you've done all that, you can run this little script a few times
    underneath different directories to get a list of files that have been
    touched or created...

    # listpackage - list package contents
    # usage: package-name directory
    # jhp 1Jun96

    cd /var/adm/package-times
    find $2 -cnewer $1.start ! -cnewer $1.end -print
    echo .
    find $2 -newer $1.start ! -newer $1.end -print

    which will produce the list of files created under a certain directory
    between setpackage and endpackage, followed by a ., followed by all the
    files modified in that span of time. (Modified files are important to watch
    for so that you know what config files your install just put itself into.)

    (This desperately needs some manual or perl post-processing, but I'm
    certainly not up to automating it.)

    Bad news: Many other files may have been modified in the timespan between
    setpackage and endpackage. Of course, you'll select your surveillance paths
    carefully (avoiding /home and /tmp, mainly), including /bin, /sbin, /etc,
    /usr (no one said it had to be fast =:^) ) and perhaps a few others.

    Also, without a journaling filesystem, you can't undo changes to config
    files. Soft links may also pose a bit of a problem as to checking for

    Followups to linux-admin (as this really _isn't_ a kernel issue, and
    probably should not be).

    Jon Pickard * 149 Olive #45 * Paso Robles CA 93446 * +1 805 2399518 * 6372F5B9

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:44.192 seconds]